Saturday, February 16, 2013

In Which I Go Way Off Our Normal Topics

Tonight, oh dear Internets, has been a long night.
We (err, I, I guess) got off work at 3:30 in the afternoon. Came home for a few minutes, and then was off to Fry's Electronics store. Which is a lovely place if you can find one. There's only one in the state of Oregon, and there's some other places, but it's not really very common it seems.
The intended purpose of the trip was to get a new mouse, keyboard, and headset for D, so he can play computer games like a badass. Or something like that. But since he built a computer last weekend, I've been wanting to do the same.
Of course.
It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, just never had the means (nor reason) or help to do so.
But we were there tonight, and we decided, sure, I got tax money back, I can start the process of getting things to build a computer.

I came back with almost everything.
Got a sexy case for it.



It's really nothing terribly fancy, but I like the orange and the black. Orange is my favourite colour, and black is just as nice, isn't it?

I got innards. 
A motherboard, a processor (quad-core, oh yeah), and 8GB of RAM.
I didn't get a hard drive, and D says I am in need of a solid state drive. Because everything else in the computer is so damn fast, a hard drive that's a disc would be too slow!
I'm typing all of this now on said computer, and it's super duper fast. I don't even know what to do with myself, everything is loading so nicely! I highly recommend doing this. It's...amazing.

It's a sexy beast of a computer, and I'm rather fond of it, and it's only been working for about 20 minutes.

I'm in need of a monitor, but am debating just getting a small-ish sized TV if a cheap monitor cannot be found. Since it would be using an HDMI connection anyway, why not just get a TV? If it's cheaper...hell. And, when the space is right...I could mount the thing on the wall! Who doesn't want a wall-mounted computer monitor?!?
Actually, I wasn't aware I wanted one, until I thought of it. And it seemed to be a pretty nice idea.






The box shows it being red, but there are a few different colour combinations this case comes in, I guess, but obviously mine is not the red. Though I wouldn't mind that one, for sure!
And on top, left to right, is the motherboard, a stick of RAM, and the processor.

Did you know that the processor gets it's own fan?!?! I didn't know that! And did you know that the internal USB connections has enough power to turn on the power light on the front of the tower? Yeah, learned that one the hard way, having plugged the tower's front power supply stuff into the USB part and not the correct ports.
I was unattended at that point in the process.

So now I'm in need to scrounging up some money for a solid state drive, and a monitor (TV). The monitor will need to be first, as I'm currently using one of D's. He has a two-monitor set up for his desktop, which he is rather fond of, so he wants it back as soon as possible. I'm hoping to get one next weekend. If all goes well.
He was, however, alright in parting with his 80GB solid state drive for the time being.
Though, of course, I would like to upgrade (and have one of my own). 80GB is alright, that's what I have on my laptop, but at one point in time I ran out of space on that laptop!!

For now, though, I will continue doing my geeky happy dance and going on and on about how lovely my computer is.

Seriously.

Oh, and let's not forget to mention. I paid 330$ for what I bought today. If I had bought a 500GB hard drive (non-solid state), that would have only added another 80$ to my price.
You can buy a run-of-the-mill computer for 400$. My mom recently got a new computer, and that's what she paid.
I am in awe. I was not aware that a custom set up would be so fabulous for almost the same amount of money.
Well, until you factor in a good hard drive price. Solid state drives can be pretty pricey, but we will wait for that. Ohhh yes, yes we will.

So, half of my tax money is now in the living room, sitting on the floor, humming away (quite quietly, actually) and making me rather happy.

xoxo, Jess (who has also not yet gotten a sewing machine, but that is a tale for another day)

No comments:

Post a Comment